RootBSD?

Garance A Drosehn gad at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 9 19:37:20 UTC 2010

At 9:04 AM -0400 4/6/10, Tom Ierna wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Anyone have any experience with RootBSD.net?
>
>I'm looking to move an office-hosted machine's services to the
>cloud, and they seem to be one of the only VPS companies centered
>around BSD support instead of Linux.

I've been using them for a few years now.  What I have with them is a
system which is meant to be used as a "hot backup" for a system which
is here in my office.  So, the main things I wanted was (1) real
freebsd systems, (2) which were someplace far away from Troy NY.  I
wanted to be pretty sure that any problem which took out my main
system would NOT take out my "hot backup" system!

I've had absolutely no trouble with them.  The few times that I've
had to contact them, they've been happy to provide whatever help I
needed.  On the other hand, my main system has been working fine for
almost three years now, so this backup system that I have at
rootbsd.net has not seen much activity.  I just rsync the main system
to the backup system once a day, and then every few months I upgrade
the FreeBSD that I'm running on the system at rootbsd.net.

Garance Alistair Drosehn     =               drosehn at rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad at FreeBSD.org