perl qstn...

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 9 00:06:49 UTC 2010

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 19:15:05 -0600
Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 01:09:54PM +0100, RW wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 21:07:17 -0600
> > Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:

> > > Shall we trade more trite sniping, or would you like to say
> > > something more substantive?
> >
> > You started it.
>
> 1. No, I used a misquote to lead into a lengthy explanation.

You started with a patronising  misquote implying ignorance of
wider context.

> > I'm not, I'm expressing an opinion that this is not a feature worth
> > copying.
>
> Judging by your further disputations with Mr. Schwartz, I don't think
> I believe you.

I can live with that.

If I don't think it worth copying, I'm not going to like it in perl.
That's not the same as telling you what you should and shouldn't do.

I don't use perl or python all that much, and I wasn't aware of quite
how religious an issue this is. I thought I was commenting on a perl
feature, but it appears to have been interpreted as an attack on your
faith.

> > > Frankly, if everybody just stuck to a purely "natural order of
> > > decision" approach to imperative language design, we would never
> > > even have developed structured programming.
> >
> > I have no idea what you trying to say here. I presume it must be
> > some kind of straw man argument.
>
> It's not a straw man argument.  Your presumption is wrong.

Then your comment is simply noise.

Most structured languages get by without the feature I'm referring to,
and I've made it clear I'm not talking about ordering in any other
context.