Adding a Disk and Changing Mountpoints

Programmer In Training pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us
Thu Apr 8 22:38:17 UTC 2010

Saturday I'll be adding a second 40GB and a tertiary 6GB disk to the
system (in favor of adding a CD-RW to a system that already has a DVD
super multi-format drive). I'd like to rearrange my mount points a bit.

Here is my current fstab.

# Device                Mountpoint              FStype          Options
        Dump    Pass#
/dev/ad0s1b             none                    swap            sw
        0       0
/dev/ad0s1a             /                       ufs             rw
        1       1
/dev/ad0s1e             /tmp                    ufs             rw
        2       2
/dev/ad0s1f             /usr                    ufs             rw
        2       2
/dev/ad0s1d             /var                    ufs             rw
        2       2
/dev/acd0               /mnt/cdrom              cd9660
ro,noauto       0       0
linproc                 /usr/compat/linux/proc  linprocfs       rw
        0       0

Specifically I would like to move /usr/home to the 40GB drive and
possibly move /var to the 6GB drive (depending on how the drive
behaves). I know it should be as easy as moving the relevant directories
to the new drives once the file systems have been finalized. I'm just
curious as to any issues I might need to be on the watch for (obviously
I'll be editing fstab before moving the directories, then issuing the
mount command as appropriate).

I'm doing this move specifically for space issues. My current drive
(40GB) is nearly full (I only have 2.5GB left on /usr). I wish I
wouldn't have deleted this mornings reports so I can give a run down on
specifically how much is left everywhere, but it's getting pretty full.
Once I've moved /var and /usr/home to their own disks, how can I reclaim
what has already been allocated for them? Or will that happen
automatically? Any specific concerns about that? Or would gparted and
not fdisk be my friend here?

By the way, the above is the default configuration for my system. I did
nothing to modify the default values calculated when I did the install
(I also plan on attacking my problem with jpeg that day too, running ldd
left me with a 40+KB file to sort through).
--
Yours In Christ,

PIT
Original content copyright under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org
Please do not CC me. If I'm posting to a list it is because I am subscribed.