Kernel Config for NAT

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Thu Apr 8 12:10:35 UTC 2010

Adam Vande More writes:

>  >        If compiled into the kernel, there's a set of optional settings
>  > (VERBOSE, LOG_LINIT, DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT, etc) that can be set there.
>  >        If using the module, how does one set these?
>  >
>  Logging is compiled into the modules and there are a few sysctl's.  AFAIK,
>  everything else is the same.
>
>  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/firewalls-ipfw.html

	So ... double-checking I'm doing this right:

1) in /boot/loader.conf:

ipfw_load="YES"
ipdivert_load="YES"

2) in the kernel config:

#options  IPFIREWALL              #firewall
#options  IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #enable logging to syslogd(8)
#options  IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100    #limit verbosity
#options  IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT    #allow everything by default
#options  IPDIVERT
#options  IPFIREWALL_NAT          #ipfw kernel nat support
options  LIBALIAS				# required for NAT

3) in /etc/sysctl.conf:

net.inet.ip.fw.default_to_accept="1"
net.inet.ip.fw.verbose="1"