usage of /usr/bin

Fbsd1 fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com
Wed Apr 7 23:41:45 UTC 2010

Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2010, at 4:06 PM, Fbsd1 wrote:
>> Your wrong. I installed the package of postfix and it installed it self into /usr/bin with out any help from me.
>
> Unless you or whoever built the package changed $PREFIX:
>
> % pkg_info -Lx postfix
> Information for postfix-2.7.0,1:
>
> Files:
> /usr/local/man/man1/postalias.1.gz
> /usr/local/man/man1/postcat.1.gz
> /usr/local/man/man1/postconf.1.gz
> /usr/local/man/man1/postdrop.1.gz
> [ ... ]
> /usr/local/share/doc/postfix/tlsmgr.8.html
> /usr/local/share/doc/postfix/generic.5.html
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postfix
>
> ...every file is under /usr/local.  Perhaps you set INST_BASE option?
>
>     [ ] INST_BASE  Install into /usr and /etc/postfix
>
> Regards,

I installed the package of postfix and it installed is self into
/usr/bin with out any help from me.

This is now I know that. I swapped a empty drive with my live system
drive. Installed the sysinstall kern developer option to get full
binaries and sources. After the install I set chflags schg /dir/ and
/dir/* for these dir. /bin /boot /lib /libexec /sbin /usr/bin
/usr/include /usr/lib /usr/libexec /usr/sbin. This should have protected
all those RELEASE base directors and all the files in then. With the dir
also having schg on, no files should have been able to be added to it. I
then did a ls -lo /dir > file to save copy of their content. Then I did
pkg_add -r postfix-current. After which i did another ls -lo /dir > file
and to my surprise i see all these new files have been added to /usr/bin.

What am I to think? How else would you explain this?