usage of /usr/bin

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Apr 7 07:35:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 15:24:51 +0800, Fbsd1 <fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com> wrote:
> Why are there RELEASE base files in /usr/bin. I thought /usr was to only
> contain binaries installed from ports or packages.

No. The /usr/local subtree (LOCAL) is for local additions (ports
and packages), while things outside this structure usually belong
to the system itself; I'm excluding mounted filesystem and other
things here for a moment.

     /usr/      contains the majority of user utilities and applications

                bin/      common utilities, programming tools, and applica-
                          tions

But:

               local/    local executables, libraries, etc.  Also used as the
                          default destination for the FreeBSD ports framework.
                          Within local/, the general layout sketched out by
                          hier for /usr should be used.  Exceptions are the
                          man directory (directly under local/ rather than
                          under local/share/), ports documentation (in
                          share/doc/<port>/), and /usr/local/etc (mimics
                          /etc).

Because we are on FreeBSD, there's excellent documentation
that shows how and why the system tree has a well intended
layout. :-)

The command

	% man hier

will explain everything in detail.