ttyu0 link down

Jay Hall jhall at socket.net
Tue Apr 6 01:59:18 UTC 2010

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Earlier today, I had to dial into a server to check a link from both
sides (a router was down).  This evening, when I connected to the
server I am not able to connect to the modem.

 From dmesg
uart0: <16550 or compatible> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on acpi0
uart0: [FILTER]

Using cu -l /dev/ttyu0 I receive a message stating "link down".

I have issued a kill -HUP 1 to restart the ttys and receive the same
message.  The same thing happens when rebooting the server.

Trying to open the port with minicom, I receive the following message

minicom: cannot open /dev/cuau0: Operation not permitted

If I change the port to /dev/ttyu0, I receive the following message

minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyu0: Permission denied

Permissions on /dev/ttyu0 and /dev/cuau0 are as follows

crw-------  1 root  wheel    0,  41 Apr  5 20:03 /dev/ttyu0
crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0,  44 Apr  5 20:03 /dev/cuau0

Is this a hardware issue or am I missing something else?

Thanks,

Jay