FreeBSD-8 Dual Booting With Pre-Installed Windows 7?

Masoom Shaikh masoom.shaikh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 13:31:30 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 6:45 PM, S Roberts <stacey at vickiandstacey.com> wrote:
> Hi Masoom,
>   Good to hear from you..,
>
> On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:32:57 +0530
> Masoom Shaikh <masoom.shaikh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Stacey Roberts
>> <stacey at vickiandstacey.com> wrote:
>> > Hello Leslie,
>> >      Good to hear from you..,

>> > I had a look at the thread - thanks..,
>> >
>> > The documentation for EasyBCD documentation itself states that its
>> > compatible with windows vista - there's nowhere that actually
>> > states that it supports windows 7.
>>
>> I have been using EasyBCD on Win7 + FBSD8 for some 6+ months now
>>

> That's great to hear.., Can you confirm that you started off with a
> pre-installed windows 7 machine / single disk and then **added**
> FreeBSD, please?

Win7 was not pre-installed. I have three partitions,
part1(c:) - NTFS
part2(d:) - FAT32
part3 - UFS2, not visible to Win7, visible in Disk Management console
as free space

Win7 is installed on part1, part2 is data drive so that bot OSes can read/write
do not want to use fusefs

first install Win7, then FreeBSD, then boot in Win7 and use EasyBCD to
add FreeBSD as another entry
remember to advise FreeBSD to not touch MBR.

have fun!!

> Tell me something - Which of the 3 FreeBSD boot manager options did you
> select, please?

don't let FreeBSD touch your MBR, Win7 won't like that