under X, frozen keys, no mouse

Henry Olyer henry.olyer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 03:22:28 UTC 2010

I installed FBSD 7.3 on an older Compaq box.  It has a built-in video card,
this isn't a top of the line superfast machine.

But it is important for me to press it into service.

I tried using a couple of Option lines in xorg.conf, but no luck.

so now my questions...

Will FBSD 7.3 make use of xf86cfg or some such program.  I ask because the X
--configure command has never worked for me;  Not on any of five different
machines I've put FBSD on.

I'm not trying to do a sophisticated install either -- and though I've
decided against running OpenBSD, the default install put's up X
perfectly...  (Why??)

wish I knew more...