Tool to produce A5 booklet from A4 pages PS / PDF

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Fri Apr 2 00:39:55 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 8:27 PM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> In order NOT to try to reinvent the wheel, I'd like to ask
> if anyone knows a tool that does helps to produce a printable
> and foldable booklet from A4 pages.
>
> I'm searching for a tool that scales down and reorders A4
> pages (from a document, usually PS or PDF) in a way that
> the result can be printed with a duplex printer (content
> on both sides of the paper sheet) and then be folded in
> the middle in order to get a "book" (or let's better call
> it a booklet) in A5 format. Additionally, the booklet
> can be stapled where it has been folded (using the proper
> mechanical tool).

[...]

Several of the things you mention can be done with pdftk, other dunno
but maybe. PS is much easier to hack than PDF IMHO, scaling and stuff
can be done with any text editor includiong sed, juts by hacking the
preamble but once in pdf I usually use pdftk  ;-)

/usr/ports/print/pdftk

Cheers,
Alejandro Imass