LDAP server gone -> impossible to login locally!

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Tue Sep 22 13:18:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, O. Hartmann wrote:
> I run into trouble with FreeBSD and LDAP on a regular basis!
>
> Sometimes it is necessary to log in onto a bunch of servers with no
> LDAP service responding, due to service, crash, eletrically
> disconnetion, whatever. The problem is: I can't.
> Using all prerequisits from ports (pam_ldap/nss_ldap/ldap as most
> recent) my /etc/nsswitch.conf looks like this as it has been the most
> reasonable (and only working!) solution for the past 2 years:
>
> passwd: ldap [unavail=continue notfound=continue] files
> [success=return notfound=return]

I just have
passwd: cache files ldap
group: cache files ldap

and I can login as root locally without any delay.

That said my LDAP server is on the same machine so perhaps it fails
faster. I am using "uri ldapi://%2fvar%2frun%2fopenldap%2fldapi/" to
connect to.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum