Microsoft "Dynamic DNS"

Mark Willson cdr.nil at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 12:13:17 UTC 2009

stan wrote:
> I have a situation at work, where I need  a FreeBSD machine to be in the
> corporate DNS. We have been bought out, and the new owner says "no static
> DNS entries". They use some Microsoft technogly where the client machiens
> register thier names with the corprate DNS.
>
> My Windows laptop for instance, may get different IP addresses using DHCP
> depending on what physical location I connect it in. but it's always the
> same DNS name.
>
> Can anyone sugest where to look for information as to how this works, and
> how I cna make my FreeBSD machine participate in this?

Stan,

You may also have to set the option "dhcp-client-identifier" in the
/etc/dhclient.conf file. The value should be the MAC address of the
interface you are requesting the DHCP address on. I think this is
something that the Microsoft DHCP server expects.

E.g.

interface "ep0" {
    send host-name "andare.fugue.com";
    send dhcp-client-identifier 1:0:a0:24:ab:fb:9c;
}

-mark