Wake up time

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 21 21:02:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:06:28PM +0200, Anselm Strauss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> anybody knows if it's possible to set BIOS wake up time in FreeBSD. I
> have a machine I would like to regularly shutdown and wake up at
> different times depending the on the day of week.

The easy and cheap way to accomplish something like that is to put a timer
between the machine's power supply and the power outlet, and use a script
started at boot to switch the machine off in a controlled fashion after a
specified time before the timer runs out.

The only inflexibility in this scheme is that timers usually require a time to
switch on and a time to switch off. So if you need the time that the machine
is "awake" variable, it won't be as easy.

Roland