DHCP client questions

stan stanb at panix.com
Sun Sep 20 19:19:30 UTC 2009

We have been bought out, and the new powers that be, are changing things.
They have decreed that there shall be no static entries in their DNS
servers. They are using $MS DHCP/DNS servers. I have a corporate supported
Win XP laptop, which I can plug in at various places in the network. It
gets different IP addresses, based upon where it physically is, but always
comes up with the same name.

I have several machines (such as a mailserver) which _MUST_ have fixed
names. I have played around with /etc/dhcllient.conf, but not managed to
get this working. I can get IP addresses, and various things such as
default routers, and DNS servers, but I have not managed to get the
suggested name put in their DNS.

I have captured packet traces with wireshark from the laptop, and from the
FreebSD client, and I am putting these up at http://beachcave.net/pdumps.

I would really appreciate it if someone more familiar with DHCP that I
could take a look at theses.

Thanks.

programs.