IPF, NAT or NIC

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Fri Sep 18 16:49:04 UTC 2009

Freeco wrote:
> Thanks man!
>
> Everything works when i connected a cable directly to the gateway. Till this
> there was two cables connected because inet cable was too short.

I kind of figured something along those lines.

> But i want
> my gateway to bring to another room so i'll need to connect 2 cables and
> inet will doesn't work again?

You can't change the way it is...it must stay this way. Do whatever you
have to do (get a longer cable for instance) in order to keep things the
way they are.

Here is a solution for you. Note that the <new switch> has ONLY the ISP
cable, and the gateway cable plugged into it AND NOTHING ELSE.

A new switch may cost only about $40USD, but not only will it work the
same, but it will allow you to put the gateway in your other room:

	  <down the street>

	   <home switch>-----------<neighbor>

	<cable from home switch,
	 that also goes to ISP>

	    <new switch>

	<long cable that goes to room
	  far, far away>

	    x.x.88.20
	    <gateway>
	   192.168.1.2

	   <room switch>
		/|\
	      /  |  \
192.168.1.5	.6	.7

Cheers. I'm glad it worked out for you! :)

Steve