IPF, NAT or NIC

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Fri Sep 18 12:38:48 UTC 2009

Steve Bertrand wrote:
[ snip ]

> Freeco, let us know how things are connected physically. Your best bet
> would be:
>
> 				|---------<pc>
> ISP>-----------<Gateway>-----<Switch>-----<pc>
> 				|_________<pc>

I just noticed that your ISP has assigned you a /28 prefix.

Is all of this 255.255.255.240 yours, or are you on a shared network
segment? If it is yours, and you plan on using it, you'll want to set
things up like the following. If it is all yours (88.18 - 88.30) and you
didn't request it, I'd sure be interested to know who is giving away
/28's nowadays when the client didn't even request it ;)

ISP>-----<Switch>---<Gateway>--<Switch>----<pc>
	    |	\		|
	    |       \
         <server1>  <server2>

...Not depicted, but I'd recommend a firewall for anything between the
gateway and the ISP.

Steve