Change one file in an ISO image

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Thu Sep 17 22:48:20 UTC 2009

On Thursday 17 September 2009 17:09:28 Tim Judd wrote:
> On 9/16/09, Gelsema, P (Patrick) - FreeBSD <freebsd at superhero.nl> wrote:
> > I need to change one file in an existing ISO image. It is a DVD image
> > btw. Unfortunately I dont have many options of changing the fie before
> > creating the image.
>
> the cd9660/iso9660 filesystem type doesn't support rw options.  Even
> if you mdconfig and mount -o rw, it is mounted ro

If your change does not require altering the size of the file you wish to edit
you may be able to just use a hex editor. I don't know enough about the ISO
9660 filesystem to say whether and how often it fragments files, but for a
localized change you should be able to find the block containing the original
file data and alter it. On the plus side you can check your work by mounting
the modified ISO image and making sure you got the right file, etc.

JN