Change one file in an ISO image

Bryant Eadon bryant.eadon at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 23:49:32 UTC 2009

Gelsema, P (Patrick) - FreeBSD wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I need to change one file in an existing ISO image. It is a DVD image btw.
> Unfortunately I dont have many options of changing the fie before creating
> the image.
>
> Mounting is not the issue, copying data neither but the ISO is also
> bootable. There must be a simpler solution as in copying all the content
> with cpio and making it bootable. OS on the DVD is WinPE btw.
>
> Does anyone have some pointers for performing this action?

Have you tried mounting it as a vnode ? and mounting it R/W ?

mdconfig -a -t vnode -f file.img
mount -t <type> /dev/md0 /mnt/rw_dvd

Where <type> may be cd9660 or some other format of the image.

I haven't seen reported success with this method (checked with various google
searches), but perhaps there's something along these lines *will* work.

Hope that helps,
Bryant