Clock delays in FreeBSD guest VM on VirtualBox

Hashimoto hsmtkk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 21:42:34 UTC 2009

Hello.

> I am running several FreeBSD(8.0-BETA3) guest VMs
> on VirtualBox on OpenSolaris.
> On all hosts, I am configuring & running ntpd.
>
> However, only one host (naming HostX) can sync the clock.
> All hosts except for HostX cannot sync the clock.
> (The time delays about 10 minutes in an hour.)
> What's the cause of this problem?
> Regards.

I found a tip in VirtualBox helps,
and the trick seem to solve the problem.
But, I am not sure this is the right solution.

The trick is, on OpenSolaris (the host system), to type the command.
$ VBoxManage setextradata "My VM name" "VBoxInternal/TM/TSCTiedToExecution" 1
The FreeBSD VMs no more need ntpd to sync the clock.

Regards.
--
Kouki Hashimoto
hsmtkk at gmail.com