/tmp sticky bit differences on FreeBSD 8

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Sep 16 19:31:07 UTC 2009

Artis Caune wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can someone point me to what has changed in file creation modes in
> /tmp directory?
>
> # FreeBSD 6, 7:
> $ cd /tmp; id; touch testfile; mkdir testdir; ls -la
> uid=65534(nobody) gid=65534(nobody) groups=65534(nobody)
> drwxr-xr-x   2 nobody  wheel   2 Sep 16 22:10 testdir
> -rw-r--r--   1 nobody  wheel   0 Sep 16 22:10 testfile
>

> # FreeBSD 8:
> $ cd /tmp; id; touch test; ls -la test
> uid=65534(nobody) gid=65534(nobody) groups=65534(nobody)
> drwxr-xr-x   2 nobody  nobody   2 Sep 16 22:12 testdir
> -rw-r--r--   1 nobody  nobody   0 Sep 16 22:12 testfile
>

> On FreeBSD 6,7 files are created with wheel group, but on 8 - with `gid`.

It seems that ZFS uses SysV group semantics (new files get the 1ary group of
the user unless the directory is set to SGID).  UFS filesystems on 8.x
still behave in the expected BSD way (new files get the same group as the
directory unless the user is not a member of that group, when they get the
users' 1ary group).

There's a thread 'ZFS Group ownership'  on this topic in freebsd-hackers at ...
at the moment.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3