reporter on deadline seeks comment about reported security bug in FreeBSD

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 15 14:49:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 07:18:26 -0400
Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:

> Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net> wrote:

> > > Przemyslaw Frasunek has PR's posted but none recent. IMO if a PR
> > > is not submitted then one has *not* informed the Powers That Be.
> >
> > Wrong. Security bugs should be reported to the security team, not
> > PR'd.
>
> It's typical for security issues to be kept hushed until a fix is
> ready. As a result, there are usually no PRs, and in the case where
> the person who discovered the problem is amenable, there is no public
> discussion at all until a fix is available.
>
> Apparently, Mr. Frasunek started out down that path, which is
> admirable. It seems as if he doesn't have much patience, however,
> since he thinks that only 2 weeks is enough time to fix a security
> problem and QA the fix.

I usually discover security problems with updates I receive from
<http://www.us-cert.gov/>. Aren't FreeBSD security problems reported to
their site? If not, why? IMHO, keeping users in the dark to known
security problems is not a serviceable protocol.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that
will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.