reporter on deadline seeks comment about reported security bug in FreeBSD

Przemyslaw Frasunek przemyslaw at frasunek.com
Tue Sep 15 08:17:12 UTC 2009

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> Przemyslaw should email security-officer with any details he thinks are
> relevant.  Then the security team will make sure to fix the bug for all
> affected releases of FreeBSD, release a patch with the fix, issue an
> advisory through the usual channels, and post the details online at our
> security information web pages at <http://www.FreeBSD.org/security/>.

I see that I received a lot of criticism after disclosing 6.4 vulnerability.
Please read some facts:

I send few mails: on 29th Aug to security team, on 2nd Sep and 11th Sep directly
to security officer. None of them were responded. I haven't filled any PRs,
because it would disclose details of vulnerability to the public and allow
blackhats to exploit it.

I won't publish anything more than video, before official security advisory. The
exploit is private to me and it won't be given to the "community".

Michael Powell wrote:
> Quoted from ~freebsd.security.general:
> "The bug was fixed in 6.1-STABLE, just before release of 6.2-RELEASE, but
> was not recognized as security vulnerability."

This is another bug. The former one affected only 6.1, this one affects
everything up to 6.4-STABLE.