reporter on deadline seeks comment about reported security bug in FreeBSD

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Sep 14 21:36:52 UTC 2009

Mikel King wrote:

> Hasn't 6.x been End Of Lifed? I mean considering that 8.0 is expected to
> be released either later this month or early next, and 6.x will be
> officially retired at that time, is it possible that this was
> overlooked? Personally I don't think it's ever good to overlook
> security, especially in the case of a root exploit.

Nope.  6.3 (RELENG_6_3) will be supported until at least 31 January 2010
while 6.4 (RELENG_6_4) and 6-STABLE (RELENG_6) will be supported until at
least 30 November 2010 by the Security team.

There are no more releases planned from the RELENG_6 branch, but that's not
the same as 'unsupported' -- patches and advisories will be issued until the
dates listed, and quite usually beyond that.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW