Can't install FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE and 8.0-BETA4

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Mon Sep 14 20:00:12 UTC 2009

Uwe Laverenz wrote:
> Am 13.09.2009 14:11, schrieb Zbigniew Komarnicki:
>
>> run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 60 seconds for xpt_config
>> run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 120 seconds for
>> xpt_config
>> run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 180 seconds for
>> xpt_config
>> run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 240 seconds for
>> xpt_config
>> run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 300 seconds for
>> xpt_config
>> panic: run_interrupt_driven_config_hooks: waited too long
>> cpuid=0
>> KDB: enter: panic
>> [thread pid 0 tid 100000]
>> Stopped at   kdb_enter+0x3d:  movq     $0,0x68d1e0(%rip)
>> db>
>>
>> and thats all. Is maybe also someone also have such problem?
>
> Yes, several people reported this problem. There is a workaround that
> might help: disable the firewire device (IEEE 1394) in the BIOS of your
> machine and try again.
>
> cu,
> Uwe

Hi,

I had the same problem on my ASUS M3N78-EM motherboard, see pr 136327.
If you can't disable firewire you may be able to install a kernel with
device sbp disabled. It's a bit of a fiddle, particularly for a laptop.
You would have to

- remove your hard drive and install it in another laptop or a usb hard
drive caddy which you then plug into another computer.
- install freebsd
- build and install a new kernel with device sbp disabled
- restore the hard disk to your laptop, see if it boots.

Chris