reducing size of apache instances

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Sat Sep 12 00:14:58 UTC 2009

> In this case you don't want to look at processes with big RES, you
> want to find processes with a big difference between RES and SIZE
> and/or the ones with flat-out largest SIZE.  Try sorting top by SIZE
> and see what bubbles up.  (Ignore rpc.statd if it's running.)

Huh... okay. That's interesting.

Well the biggest SIZE process is mysql, followed by three mongrel
instances (for a ruby on rails app), and then a bunch of httpd processes.

Mysql is optimized for a small server, there isn't much I can do about
the size of the Rails app, so the apache instances seemed like the
logical place to start.

I'm starting to wonder about the Swap info from top... it never changes.
It has said the same thing all day, since I've been watching it. Does
that make sense?

Swap: 2008M Total, 150M Used, 1858M Free, 7% Inuse

-- John