are there any notebooks with mouse-sticks?

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu Sep 10 23:32:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 04:07:04PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 10:51:29AM -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
> >
> > I just turn off the touchpad in my ThinkPad's BIOS/CMOS settings.  That's
> > pretty much the *first* thing I do with a new ThinkPad, before I even
> > install a halfway decent operating system on it.  I have a tendency to
> > accidentaly move the mouse around while typing, otherwise.
> >

> 	BIOS.  That's what i couldn't remember.  so you still *can*
> 	toggle the laptop pointer on/off.  in my long-defunt 600E
> 	i could plug in an external mouse and off the t'point.  good to
> 	know you can turn off the pad and still use the other pointing
> 	device.

Yes, you can -- otherwise, I'd be highly irritated with laptops in
general.

> > Unfortunately, the OP was asking about netbook-sized computers, and last
> > I checked the only netbooks offered by Lenovo are IdeaPads -- which are
> > exactly like ThinkPads, except the construction is a little cheaper and
> > the pointing device is always a touchpad.
>

> 	hm.  if i can go into the bios of this ideapad and disable the
> 	t'pad; then use a wireless mouse, that would work.  my plans are
> 	to build a text-to-speech computer.  kde has a bunch of tools
> 	that are very useable.  vi has -- or used to have -- the ability
> 	to store abbrv that would expand as typed.  you type "tht"; vi
> 	outputs "that"

I hope that works out for you, then.  It wouldn't really work for me,
since I want a trackpoint -- which is why I haven't gotten a Lenovo
laptop with an NVIDIA adapter (since they tend to only put those in
IdeaPads, and not ThinkPads, which are left with ATI graphics adapters
instead).

. . . and yes, you can still do that with vi (and Vim).

Quoth Philip Machanick: "caution: if you write code like this,
immediately after you are fired the person assigned to maintaining your
code after you leave will resign"