Using mdconfig for swap space

Peter Steele psteele at maxiscale.com
Wed Sep 9 13:07:52 UTC 2009

Thanks for the responses. The reason I'm looking at doing this is that we have increased memory on our platform from 4GB to 8GB and therefore have to increase swap space from 8GB to 16GB. We have enough space in our /var partition that we could add a swap file there and not have to touch the existing partition layout. I like the simplicity of the swap file approach, but we have an application that is very sensitive to I/O performance and I'm a little wary what this could mean. QA I know would have a field day in trying to pound the system with all sorts of stress tests. I think a dedicated swap partition is probably a safer option.

Peter