Inconsistency in root partition size

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Tue Sep 8 20:38:26 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 08 September 2009 04:14:55 jaymax wrote:

> > restore -tf /disk03/dump/root2.dump > rootrestore-0.lst
>
> To my surprise rootrestore-0.lst contains a whole listings of ./usr/ files
> ex.
>
> >       2926      ./usr/include/bsnmp/snmpmod.h
> >       2927      ./usr/include/bsnmp/snmp_atm.h
>
> Now /usr is on a separate and distinct partition
>
> > /dev/ad0s1f  36205990  25765232  7544280    77%    /usr
>
> Hope someone can make some sense of this.

This is exactly what I figured. Some files are hiding behind a mount point.
The got there most likely, cause you did make installworld without /usr
mounted, which would happen if you have the FreeBSD source tree on a different
location, reboot into single user mode, only mount the source tree and do
installworld.

To repair, reboot into single user. Run the following commands:
fsck -y /
mount -u -o rw /
rm -rf /usr/*
exit