how to get rid of a character, 0x80?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Tue Sep 8 19:21:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 08:02:06AM -0500, Jim White wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 7:43 AM, Jon Radel <jon at radel.com> wrote:
>
> > Mark Stapper wrote:
> >
> >  besides.. 0x80!=0200
> >> it's 0200 octal which is 128 decimal...
> >> Might be why it doesn't work for you.
> >>

> > Don't mess with his head.  ;-)
> >
> > 0200 = 0x80 = 128
> >
> > 200 octal = 80 hex = 128 decimal

	Yup :-)

> > --Jon Radel
> > jon at radel.com
> >

> You may want to check if your char type is signed.  If it is (and it just
> happens to be 8 bits wide), (char)128 is a negative value.

	I used

	int ch, not char ch;

	Also, just found some throwaway code that [of course] never gets pitched, and
	found the for chars >= 128, it's a wide character.

        while (( ch = getwc(stdin)) != WEOF)
        {

                if (ch == L'\xe2')
                {
                                if ((ch1 = getwc(stdin)) == L'\x80')
                                {
                                        printf("'");

                                        /* check for and swallow last of the trio */
                                        if ((ch2 = getwc(stdin)) == L'\x90')
                                        {
                                                continue;
                                        }
                                }
                }
                else
                {
                        putchar (ch);
                }
        }

	I wrote the above to get rid of openoffice TXT that was still cluttered with the
	trio of wide characters that output one apostrophe.

	Last night I used pdftotext to translate a pdf file; it was cluttered with a slew of
	^L's, which == '\014', and wound up with a greater slew of <x80> in more [less]
	and vi.  Nutshell, the file was fubar'd.

	gary

    The 5.67a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php