"turn authentication on" -- a simple how to please!!

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 7 20:39:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 20:49:42 +0100
David Southwell <david at vizion2000.net> wrote:

> My mailserver uses postfix and has a number of virtual domains. I am
> getting the following difficulties on delivery of legitimate emails
> to remote addresses failing with a request to tun authentication on.
> I am comparatively new to managing mailservers. Could someone please
> tell me what I need to do. My searches on google seem to give me long
> explanations of what is meant to happen but I cannot find simple
> instructions on how to fulfill the requirements!!
>
> dns1# fgrep abc /var/log/maillog
> Sep  7 17:01:59 dns1 postfix/smtp[86489]: 179BE34D41D:
> to=<competitions at bristolphoto.org.uk>,
> relay=mail.abc.org.uk[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]:25, delay=2.2,
> delays=2/0/0.15/0.03, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host
> mail.abc.org.uk[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] said: 550 Please turn authentication
> on (in reply to RCPT TO command)) dns1#

You question is probably better suited for the Postfix forum:
http://www.postfix.com/

In any case, you will need to post the output of:

	postconf -n

Alternately, you can use: postfinger, available at:
http://ftp.wl0.org/SOURCES/postfinger

You could also try reading the information at:
http://www.postfix.com/DEBUG_README.html

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

As well look for a needle in a bottle of hay.

	Miguel de Cervantes