Problems with module cx88

Frank Wissmann frank.wissmann41 at web.de
Mon Sep 7 19:58:28 UTC 2009

Hi, folks!
Having installed a TV-card (WinTV HVR-1100) I now want to use it. there
are currently two problems:

1. When I boot into KDE 3.5.10, my artsd is not starting giving the message:

"Can't open /dev/dsp - operation not permitted"

This is happening till I installed and loaded (via /boot/loader.conf)
the modules under /usr/ports/multimedia/cx88. Are there any conflicts
known which can be solved?

2. When I try to capture a video from my old tape-recorder with the command

cx88 -d /dev/cx88video0 -f name_of_movie.m2t -x /home/frank/cx88.xml

I get the following message:

[cx88] Warning: the -f option is deprecated; please instead use -u with
a file:// URL prefix
[cx88] Unable to create cx88 video driver

What does that mean? I thought I had installed the drivers with the
port. Can anybody point me to any web resource? I still found

http://corona.homeunix.net/cx88wiki

but it doesn't seem to fit my needs.

Greetings Frank