Replacing linux_base-fc-4_14 with linux_base-f10-10_1

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Mon Sep 7 11:59:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 07:29:32 -0400 Jerry wrote:

> I presently have linux_base-fc-4_14 installed on a FreeBSD-7.2 machine.
> Would there be any benefit installing linux_base-f10-10_1 instead? I

If it works for you, don't touch it. ;-)

As for benefits:
. use supported linux distributions (with security updates, etc.);
. hardware acceleration _may_ work (strange but at some cases it
works but not at others: googleearth works for me but has been
reported by someone not to work).

> believe I have to remove the linux_base-fc-4_14 installation first. Are
> there any pitfalls, etc? I assume I would have to rebuild any ports
> that depended on the older version after installing the newer one.

There is some info at /usr/ports/UPDATING.

> What version is the default for FreeBSD-8.0 that will soon be released?

FreeBSD-8 uses linux -f10- infrastructure ports.

--
WBR, Boris Samorodov (bsam)
FreeBSD Committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve