Inconsistency in root partition size

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Sep 7 07:14:45 UTC 2009

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 23:12:07 -0700 (PDT), jaymax <jaymax36 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there somewhere I can find a listing of files and directories that are
> supposed to be at the / level? if there is perchance some bizarre file, that
> du is not accounting for.

You can of course read "man hier" to obtain information about
the file system hierarchy. In settings where partitions are
used to separate functional parts of the hierarchy, there's
often not much stuff that goes into /, because / is primarily
reserved for the basic system and the mountpoints; things
like /tmp, /var, /usr and /home go to different partitions.

Check the content of /boot. Maybe you have more than one
kernel image and module files in there. You can as well use

	# du -sch /

with only / mounted to get a first impression which subtrees
do occupy how much disk space.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany