how to display pkg-message

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Sun Sep 6 18:18:41 UTC 2009

Randy Belk wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Kalle
> Møller<freebsd-questions at k-moeller.dk> wrote:
>> Looking for that feature to :)
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh at onetel.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> Could someone remind of the make target for showing messages which are
>>> displayed when installing ports please. I thought it was some variant of
>>> make showinfo but I can't find one that works. I am assuming that if
>>> <port>/files/pkg-message.in exists the this make target would show a
>>> result.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>

>> --
>>
>> Med Venlig Hilsen
>>
>> Kalle R. Møller
>>

> This is explained in the pkg_info man page.
>
> To Show the install-message file for the installed package
> postfix-2.6.3,1 you would enter "pkg_info -D -x postfix | less"
>
> Please read the man page! Also install ports-mgmt/bpkg, it's an awsome utility

Thanks for the info. I read man ports, quite a lot of bsd.ports.mk plus
list archives and google but because I was so convinced it was a make
target I didn't think of pkg_info. It all makes sense now. What's more
next time I forget I will be able to look up my own post :)

Thanks Matthew S for the tip about tarballs too.

cheers

Chris