how to display pkg-message

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Sep 6 17:27:44 UTC 2009

Chris Whitehouse wrote:

> Could someone remind of the make target for showing messages which are
> displayed when installing ports please. I thought it was some variant of
> make showinfo but I can't find one that works. I am assuming that if
> <port>/files/pkg-message.in exists the this make target would show a
> result.

Once the port is installed, you can do:

   % pkg_info -Dx portname

What is probably less known is that if you have the package tarball, you can
run pkg_info on it *without* it being installed:

   % pkg_info -D ./portname.tbz

There isn't a specific make target for displaying pkg-message -- it's
generally done as part of the post-install: target, but that target also
typically runs any of the scripts that should be bundled with the pkg.
That's things like creating a UID to own files or processes, which is not
necessarily something you would want to happen when just trying to see
some messages.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3