Making bootable USB keys

Samuel Martín Moro faust64 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 07:51:58 UTC 2009

In fact, we provide the servers and the keys.
So we're sure everything will work.

And also, our install CD is already able to create this kind of USB stick.
It was a former co-worker who did it.
I started mine looking its. But most of used commands haven't exact
equivalent under linux (and I fucking hate sfdisk and counting in
cylinders!)

Here's an example of a generated stick:
h2g2:~# fdisk da0
******* Working on device /dev/da0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=493 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=493 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 11 (0x0b),(DOS or Windows 95 with 32 bit FAT)
    start 63, size 6602652 (3223 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
        end: cyl 410/ head 254/ sector 63
The data for partition 2 is:
sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 6602715, size 1317330 (643 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 411/ head 0/ sector 1;
        end: cyl 492/ head 254/ sector 63
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>