difficult-to-phrase question...

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri Sep 4 00:24:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 02:05:57AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:43:30 -0700, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> > 	i'm looking for a file what contains string "S".  the filename
> > 	in this case has a zillion letters, but that beside the point.
> >
> > 	i can use grep to find "S" and grep gives me the file[s] that
> > 	have the string.  now, is there any easy way of reading that
> > 	file, or deleting or otherwise munging that file?
>
> I would suggest one of my favourite tools, the Midnight Commander,
> available via ports as misc/mc or misc/mc-lite - or from a
> package.
>
> First you run the find dialog, Meta-? (Esc, ?, if you don't have
> a Meta key). Enter file mask if needed, starting directory (usu-
> ally .) and "S" for the search string. Then a list with the items
> found will come up.
>
> In order to view a file from this list, press PF3 on a file. The
> viewer will automatically skip to where "S" has been found in the
> file. If you press ENTER on the file, it will be selected in one
> of the panels, and you can move or delete it.
>

> > 	ps: if scripting this is too grizzly i'll do it in C and do an
> > 	inline post of src and example use.
>
> If you exactly know what to do with the file, scripting might be
> the easiest solution. The more interaction, the less optimum it
> is. :-)

	you're right.  originally, i was thinking of simplr /bin/rm.  find a
	string, and move that file into some junk file or just remove it.
	then i thought about viewing it with more|vi.  or cp'ing the file.
	etc.  mv seems to have already been invented!!

	gary

    The 5.67a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php
          10% slice of my latest novel:  http://www.thought.org/10pc