What invokes cricket on FreeBSD

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Thu Sep 3 20:10:17 UTC 2009

On Thursday 03 September 2009 21:02:41 stan wrote:

> pnoc# cat collect-subtrees
> #!/bin/sh
>
> echo STARTED >> /tmp/stan
> which perl >> /tmp/stan
> /usr/local/cricket/cricket/collect-subtrees.pl normal >> /tmp/stan
> echo Done >> /tmp/stan
>
> /tmp stan contains:
>
> pnoc# cat /tmp/stan
> STARTED
> /usr/bin/perl
> Done
> STARTED
> /usr/bin/perl
> Done
>
> So, cron is invoking the correct command, and perl can be found, but the
> original collect_subtrees perl script silently dies.
>
> I am convinced it's an environemt probkl`lem, I am just uncertain how to
> determine what.

I'm not anymore. I'm putting 1 cent on a broken /usr/bin/perl symlink (perl
upgrade gone bonkers, f.e. done with ro mounted /usr) and another cent on the
perl script using system() function, with pathless commands (that is
environment).
file /usr/bin/perl should report if the symlink is broken.
--
Mel