What invokes cricket on FreeBSD

Daniel Bye danielby at slightlystrange.org
Thu Sep 3 15:11:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 10:42:57AM -0400, Jerry wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 09:41:07 -0400
> stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:
> > > OK, I found in the cron man page the following:
> > >
> > >  Before running a command from a per-account crontab file, cron
> > >  checks the status of the account with pam(3) and skips the command
> > > if the account is unavailable, e.g., locked out or expired.
> > >
> > > So, now the question is, how do I unlock that user?
> > >
> > This gets strnager. I found the pw cammand, which should do thatm but:
> >
> > pnoc# pw unlock cricket
> > pw: user 'cricket' is not locked
> >
> > So, how come:
> >
> > pnoc# su - cricket
> > This account is currently not available.
>
> Something appears to be broken. You might try a new installation. The
> port creates the user and group if it does not exist.

No, this is the expected behaviour when an account has /sbin/nologin as
its shell. Matthew has already offered a solution to this problem,
several replies ago.

As root:
# su -m cricket

Which will give you a basic prompt belonging to cricket. Then:

$ crontab -e

Or, in one command, as root:

# crontab -u cricket -e

In either case, you shoule be left with an editor session in which you
can create or modify user cricket's crontab. If not, tell us the error
message.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye