ZFS and DMA read error

Daniel Eriksson daniel at toomuchdata.se
Thu Sep 3 09:21:06 UTC 2009

Mark Stapper wrote:

> People are REALLY pushing spinrite lately... I did get it though, just
to try it.

SpinRite is OK but it hasn't been updated in ages. It does not work on
large drives. 250GB works, 1TB does not. Haven't tried it on 500GB
drives.

If I were you I would 'zpool offline ...' the offending drive, rewrite
the entire drive with 'dd if=/dev/zero ...' and then run a SMART
selftest on it using smartmontools ('smartctl -t long /dev/adX'). When
you 'zpool online ...' the drive ZFS will resilver it for you. After
doing all of this I would then run a 'zpool scrub ...'. If the scrub
finishes without checksum errors and without any ATA-related errors the
drive is probably in good enough condition to keep using, but watch out
for more ATA errors. If the drive is dying it won't be long before it
starts to generate more ATA errors.

/Daniel Eriksson