Upgrading packages

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Wed Sep 2 10:13:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 10:42:02 +0400
Boris Samorodov <bsam at ipt.ru> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 01:08:54 -0500 Chris wrote:
> > On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 09:50:08 +0400
> > Boris Samorodov <bsam at ipt.ru> wrote:

> > > Packges are build for STABLE as well:
> > > ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/
>
> > I do realize this however, if one stays with RELEASE (and not deal
> > with the possible (I did say possible) headaches of a changing base
> > system) then (as I read it from the Handbook) updating packages is
> > moot. They won't change until the next point release.
>
> The thing is that those packages (called FreeBSD-stable-packages)
> can (and imo) should be used with RELEASE either. The ports tree
> is always HEAD. And -stable- for packages means only that they
> were build after -release- packages.

I'll paraphrase what you said as I understand you;

Upgrading packages to a RELEASE system (by way of setting set
PACKAGESITE to reflect:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7-stable/Latest/)
Would indeed keep them updated whereas the default PACKAGESITE setting
would do nothing more then install the packages that were created at the
time of RELEASE.

So in short, Yes, there is a way I can run RELEASE while still getting
updated packages using pkg_upgrade as long as I set PACKAGESITE.

Now - I just need that last question answered about mounting ext2 and
I'm off to install.

--
Best regards,

Chris