Upgrading packages

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Wed Sep 2 06:08:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 09:50:08 +0400
Boris Samorodov <bsam at ipt.ru> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 00:25:18 -0500 Chris wrote:
> > On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 09:17:12 +0400
> > Boris Samorodov <bsam at ipt.ru> wrote:

> > > The port sysutils/bsdadminscripts has a script pkg_upgrade
> > > to upgrade packages.
>
> > Thanks - although, this seems a moot point if one sticks with
> > RELEASE (until a point release that is I suppose).
>
> Packges are build for STABLE as well:
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/

I do realize this however, if one stays with RELEASE (and not deal with
the possible (I did say possible) headaches of a changing base system)
then (as I read it from the Handbook) updating packages is moot. They
won't change until the next point release.

I'm just trying to determine the way I want to move back to FreeBSD and
not repeat the episodes of upgrades due to installing ports. This
turned out to be a weekly event that took the majority of my Friday
nights.

I admit that I have gotten spoiled with Linux updates (all binary - no
issues, no breakage, and no dependency-hell like there used to be with
Ports). Of course, I'm sure that dealing with Ports has improved in the
2 years I was on my "sabbatical", but I did get used to actually using
and enjoying my puter (again, my biased view point on when I used
to use FreeBSD).

And now for the last question - I know there were issues mounting ext2
(128 bit) but have since been corrected. This is important to me in the
short term.

What version (I know the upcoming 8 will have it) now has the patch I
have about that supports ext2/128 bit?  If it's 7.2, I assume that
updating the src should or would take care of it?

Once I have recommitted back to FBSD, I would convert the drives that
are currently ext3.

I'm not trolling nor trying to start an OS war, just some questions I
need to get clarity on before I wipe and install. If all my ducks are in
a row, my transition back should be rather pleasant or at worse, not
happen at all.

Thanks for your time.

--
Best regards,