having problems copying a dvd

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Sep 2 05:30:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 04:41:24 +0000, af300wsm at gmail.com wrote:
> If dd will work but I just forgot to get the block size
> right, what is that supposed to be.

If you call dd without bs= parameter, the default of 512 is
assumed. This may not be correct for video DVDs. You could
try bs=1m, but I'm not sure what the correct block size for
DVDs is...

For copying them, I always felt comfortable with the vobcopy
tool (for reading), and growisofs -dvd-compat (for writing).
Both tools can be installed via ports or packages.

> [root at sniper ~]# cp /dev/acd0 /usr/local/dvds/biggest_loser.iso
Just a side note: I don't think /usr/local is a good place
to store DVD images. Some path like /usr/home/dvds would be
good. The /usr/local subtree is "reserved" for locally installed
applications; see "man hier" for details.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany