32 bit ports on an AMD64 system

Jim stapleton.41 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 15:04:18 UTC 2009

> Well, this would certainly help with building the ports safely.  But I
> think we -- at least I was -- were thinking that you would actually
> leave them in the jail, and run them from the jailed environment, so
> there would be fewer run-time problems, and no work to transfer them
> over.  Remember that you've got to ensure that there is no problem
> with run-time linking of shared libraries, some of which (in your
> current scheme) will have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions with the
> same soname.  You can probably work around this problem as well, but
> it seems easier to leave them in the jail.

With only console stuff, that'd probably be fine, a jail wouldn't be
much more tedious than the environment shuffling I'd need to run the
32 bit stuff, however I'll want to do some X11 stuff..
I know you can access X between different users on a machine, but can
a jail'ed shell open a window on an X server running from the main
machine? I'm not even sure what terms I would use for searching on how
to get that working.

Thanks,
-Jim Stapleton