Boot from RAIDZ in 8.0-BETA3?

Artis Caune artis.caune at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 08:22:25 UTC 2009

2009/8/30 Doug Poland <doug at polands.org>:
> Shutdown, remove ad0 from the virtual machine,
> Power on and it see...
>
> <scrolls off screen>
> error 4 lba 4292979877
> error 4 lba 4292979883
> error 4 lba 4292979883
> error 4 lba 4292979882
> ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
> Invalid format

I had a similar problem on IBM x3650 with 6 sata disks. While testing
zfs, I got kmem panic and after reboot same errors appeared.
OpenSolaris does not allow to boot from raidz and there can be only
one vdev in bootable pool, so I decided to make two pools if I need
raidz or multiple vdevs:
- one root pool (8G) (mirror disk0 disk1 ... disk5)
- one for data and other fs (raidz disk0 disk1 ... disk5)

--
Artis Caune