Effing HAL

Freminlins freminlins at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 19:45:54 UTC 2009

2009/10/30 Adam Vande More <amvandemore at gmail.com>

> I was part of this and the x11 mailing list during the period in which most
> made the switch to hal.  I am fully aware of all the complaining which
> occurred.  There was a bug which made the issue difficult.  I experienced
> it, the workaround was available nearly immediately and fixed soon after.
> Nearly of the complaints were due to that bug, or misconfiguration just as
> you are experiencing.  The bug was basically moused and hal fighting over
> who was polling the mouse while X was running.  top is a horrible method of
> measuring memory usage by a process.

But people are STILL having problems, like me last night. These
"misconfigurations", isn't that what HAL is meant to stop people from doing,
by configuring things itself? I tried with no xorg.conf file at all, I tried
all sorts of things, it was very very ugly. Did you actually read what I
wrote, or did you make up your mind that I had misconfigured something? Let
me repeat it - I was given no keyboard or mouse.

> procstat(1) will give you a much better picture, I suggest you challenge
> your assumptions and explore that path.
>
> However since you asked here is the diff.

You have just proved that you didn't read what I wrote. Let me repeat it:
"Show us the output of top from your box with the hal processes". You have
just showed the headings, which doesn't mean a lot.

I think you have closed your eyes to the problems that people experience
with hal. That is a pity, because it won't improve anything.

--
Adam Vande More

MF.