howto use https in favour of http

jhell jhell at DataIX.net
Tue Oct 27 04:26:42 UTC 2009

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:29, alexbestms@ wrote:
> Olivier Nicole schrieb am 2009-10-27:
>> Hi,
>
>>> i've added the following line to my /etc/hosts:
>
>>> permail.uni-muenster.de:25      permail.uni-muenster.de:443
>
>>> so what i want is for freebsd to never use http, but https for that
>>> address.
>>> unfortunately hosts doesn't seem to support this syntax.
>
>> De3finitely not. man hosts to see the syntax and meaning of the
>> /etc/hosts file.
>
>>> any advice on how to do this?
>
>> I am not sure what you want to do. You want to install a web server
>> that only serves https? then you configure your web server to only
>> serve https, in Apache configuration you would only have a
>> <VirtualHost: permail.uni-muenster.de:443>
>> and none with port 80.
>
>> Best regards,
>
>> Olivier
>
> sorry if i didn't specify my problem in detail.
>
> i'm not using a webserver or anything. i'm just a regular user. the point is:
> i often forget to specify https://... for that specific address in apps like
> lynx or firefox. that's why the non-ssl version of that site is being loaded.
> i'd like freebsd to take care of this so even if the app is trying to access
> the non-ssl version it should in fact be redirected to the ssl version by
> freebsd.
>
> cheers.
> alex

Add some shell aliases to your shells rc's.

Bourne style shells:

alias your_name="lynx https://sub.domain.tld/"

Ill leave the c style shell syntax for you to figure out.

Now as long as you can remember your_name then you shouldn't have to much
of a problem. ;)

Best regards,
PC Pro Sch00lz

--

  ;; dataix.net!jhell         2048R/89D8547E 2009-09-30
  ;; BSD since FreeBSD 4.2    Linux since Slackware 2.1