DNS Question

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Oct 23 17:08:12 UTC 2009

Hi--

On Oct 23, 2009, at 9:18 AM, Sean Cavanaugh wrote:
>> worse, it's illegal.
>
> how is this illegal? if you are residing your domain on a hosting
> service, this makes sense to me. Granted its bad form and should
> have an A record to the host for the main domain record, but if i
> had control over "otherdomain.com" and not "example.com" and had to
> change the IP address, "example.com" would be dead until i was able
> to reach the owner of that domain and have them change their DNS info.

You aren't supposed to use CNAMES for anything found in other RR's; in
particular, you should always use an A record with the hostnames used
for nameservers (ie, have an NS record), because you are supposed to
be using the canonical name rather than an alias.

See:

   http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/networking/sendmail/ch21_03.htm#SML2-CH-21-SECT-3-2

You might also find a discussion of webserver redirects and the like
interesting:

   http://www.aitechsolutions.net/cname-serveralias-redirection.html

Regards,
--
-Chuck

PS: It's odd where google pulls up references to fairly canonical
docs, sometimes.  I'm not sure I even recognize "ua", and I suspect I
deal with two-letter ISO 3166 country names more than most folks do.
Maybe Ukraine?  :-)