Salvage files from harddrive

tomasz dereszynski tomaszd at paraklet.net
Thu Oct 22 22:13:39 UTC 2009

jeffry killen wrote:
> Hello;
> I have a hard drive that contains the /var file system in a system that
> will not boot.
> In single user mode I can mount  /var.
>
> I want to take this disk and put it in another FreeBSD system and
> try to copy the files I need off of it to a safe place.
>
> The system I will plug it into will also have a separate disk with
> /var.
>
> Is there going to be a conflict with the labels and how would I
> best go about this?
>
> system is FreeBSD v6.2
>
> Thank you in advance for guidance, suggestions.
> JK

Nay,

you need to check as what 'device' that partition has been recognised on
your 'new' system and mount it wherever you like
e.g.

mkdir /tmp/old-var
mount /dev/da0s1a /mnt/old-var

--
bEsT rEgArDs            |       "Confidence is what you have before you
tomasz dereszynski      |       understand the problem." -- Woody Allen

Spes confisa Deo        |       "In theory, theory and practice are much
numquam confusa recedit |       the same. In practice they are very