Display TSV files with columns aligned

Karl Vogel vogelke+unix at pobox.com
Wed Oct 21 23:10:54 UTC 2009

>> On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:55:07 -0700 (PDT),
>> Tom Worster <fsb at thefsb.org> said:

T> is there a cli command that lays out tsv files for display with a fixed
T> width font?  that is, it figures how wide each column needs to be and
T> pads each field in the file with a suitable amount of space?

   http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~kinzler/align/

   Align is a general-purpose text filter tool that helps vertically align
   columns in string-separated tables of input text.  You can direct how
   the columns are separated on input and rejoined in the aligned output.
   It's great.

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company

Markets are self-correcting.  That's why I trust markets more than
governments.  Governments usually aren't self-correcting until too late.
                --Interview with Walter Wriston as reported in Wired 4.10